Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A Granny By Any Other Name

I know it may sound vain, but I feel like I'm too young to be called 'Grandma'!  The name itself invokes images of cotton ball hairstyles, orthopedic shoes, and housecoats. The problem is, I really want to be a good grandma - you know, the kind that bakes cookies, decorates for every holiday and throws half-birthday parties! Ok..so maybe that was just my grandma.  I guess I want to be grandma without being called grandma, so that leaves me with a bit of a connundrum.  What should the baby call me? Oh, I know - she's too young to call me anything just yet!  But when we babble at the babies, we refer to ourselves as something, right? That's how they learn!

I have found no shortage of material on the subject - so I guess I'm far from the only one in this pickle.  Heck, there are websites designating pages upon pages about this issue, and boy are there some crazy grandparent names out there!  I just can't see being called Snuggums, Momsy or GeezerGirl (no offense to those who are!), nor do I want to be the ultra-trendy Glamma, GG, or Lola.  But on the other hand I'm not so sure about Grandma, Granny or Nana. 

I guess I wouldn't mind being called Grammy, but that is the nickname I have for my Dad's mom. My daughter is convinced the baby will call me 'Mimi' - which is adorable! But confusing. Around my house, mimi is a term we use for sleepytime, picked up from my Latina friend when my kids were small. Ack!  Well, I suppose when the time is right, that little bundle of love will decide what she wants to call me. Until then, I guess I'll just be...

The Young Granny! 







No comments:

Post a Comment